May 21, 2012

Locked Up

On Friday afternoon, a very small incident was happened. I was busy in something. My elder son Tanishk was sleeping. My 2 yr old son Tanay went to the bathroom. He was talking a lot. I thought, he is lying down with his brother and talking to him. I went to see what's going on. I saw that he was not on the bed. I called him; he was locked up in the bathroom. He had locked his door from inside. He wasn't aware that he has locked him up. He was saying in his regular voice - "Mumma, open the door".

I was scared but I didn't want to be panic. I thought Tanay will get scared. I calmed down myself and asked him to turn the knob. He was listening, but he didn't understand. I bent on my knees and tried to see through the space under the door. He was standing far away from the door. I just told him to come to the door. He came. I told him to turn the knob. He turned it. He was unlocked. I got relief. He was playing - "Knock knock".

This incident reminded me the incident happened when Tanishk was 3 years old and he had locked him up in his aunt's room. He is always fascinated about his aunt's things - cosmetics, jewelry etc. No one noticed when he entered into the room and had locked himself there. When we realized, we told him to open the door. He was lost in something. Every one called him, shouted - "Turn the knob, open the door". He just repeated the words - "open the door".

My hubby went on the roof to the room's window to tell him to open the door. But he wasn't aware of his presence. He wasn't listening to anyone. We all were very much scared. He was inside more than one hour. He himself was not scared and afraid. He was just lost in doing something. What is he doing inside? What to do? Should we break the door or call for help?

His aunt called 911 to get help. The police came. Everyone thought that they will break the door. I don't remember what he did actually. He just pushed the door back and door was opened. Tanishk was standing there without his pants on and he was playing with his aunt's cosmetics. He had spread her face powder on the floor.

I think even today when he is now 6 years old, he won't open the door. He will just get lost and will be happy that he is not disturbed by somebody until unless he needs something. That was one of the major experiences we have with autism. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment