February 13, 2013

Look At Yourself

That's why I like the page Autism Discussion Page. Bill Nason, owner of the page, explains everything so nicely and so intensely that I feel somebody is guiding me and there is someone who can understand me and my child better. He knows everything and can discuss on any aspect of autism. When I am frustrated and stressed, I read his page and feel supported and relaxed. When I talk to my husband, I always refer this page. He asked me whether I am fan of this page. Yes, I am a big fan of Autism Discussion Page.

Look at yourself in the mirror and smile

At the end of the day, as you drag yourself to bed, look in the mirror and smile! You made it through another day. Regardless of the challenges that were presented, how much you feel you accomplished or didn’t complete, you made it through another day protecting your family, advocating for their needs, and scaffolding this chaotic world for your child. You may feel completely exhausted, that you are defeated, like you said and did everything wrong, and left behind a million things you have left to do! However, if your family is safe, protected, and receiving your love, you have had a successful day! 

Between running between therapies, meeting with professionals, advocating at school, dealing with a meltdown in the middle of Kmart, arguing with a family member who feels that you are parenting wrong, chasing your child as he escapes down the block, and watching as your child changes clothes twenty times before he finds the one outfit that feels comfortable, you may not feel like a success! Believe me, most parents of children with special needs are super human! They take on more challenges and stress, and have to multitask more than any other parents. It is a new battle everyday and you tackle them as a passionate soldier! You enter challenges for which people do not have answers. You are often alone, facing challenges that most of us would run away from. Why do you do it? You have no choice! You are your child’s voice, protector, mentor, source of love, and the only one who truly knows him. You are his link to the world, and with every day that passes, you have served that role with honor and passion. So look at that face in the mirror each night and smile! You are one awesome person!!

No comments:

Post a Comment